Clean Up Still Required
I had hoped that the previous owners, Burt Bolton Holdings, would address the larger areas of contamination in and around the wharf site, but they have rather washed their hands of it, sold up and disappeared.
Now Associated British Ports have purchased the site it seems a bit like we are back to square one.
“In 2010 a remediation strategy was issued to address the requirements of Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (i.e. determination of the site as ‘contaminated land’) and in July 2010 the foreshore contamination was remediated and redevelopment proposals for the site as a whole were instigated.
· Since remediating the foreshore, annual monitoring of the groundwater contamination has continued following various voluntary site investigations and remediation.
· The current use of the site is not considered sensitive and therefore the accepted levels of contaminants are not as stringent as a more sensitive use such as residential.
· A localised pocket of contamination was found in 2016 during local roadworks and was dealt with appropriately.
· The Environmental and Regulation Service only became aware that the site had been sold at the end of January 2018
· The Contaminated Land Statutory Guidance was updated in 2012 and states that determining a site as ‘contaminated land’ using Part IIA of the EPA 1990 should only to be used where no appropriate alternative solution exists, for example, redevelopment or voluntary action by landowners.
· The new owners have been contacted and we are awaiting a meeting date to discuss their future short term and longer term plans for the site.
SIGN UP FOR DAVID'S NEWSLETTER
Search the site
Latest Totton Stories
It is expected that the following roads in the division of Totton South & Marchwood will be subject to one-day road closures next month (March), whilst they benefit from Micro Asphalt treatments.
After long delays and additional costs, it’s a relief to see that the much anticipated new facilities at Eling will soon be ready. I understand we can look forward to an official opening on Tuesday, 24th April, although elements of the Eling experience can be enjoyed before then. I have heard lots of positive comments…